Monday, July 5, 2010

Chicago 2010...

Anish Kapoor, Cloud Gate


Frank Gehry, BP Pedestrian Bridge

Link Bridge

Me and Vicky in the Sky Box at the top of Willis "Sears" Tower. Pardon the sloppy clothes (Jil Sander T-shirt, Diesel Black Gold cardigan, 7 for All Mankind jeans, trusty Havianas which broke a few days after after 3 years of good times [we just finished the 7 hour car ride there, and I hadn't changed into my dinner outfit yet]) and the look of pure horror on my face; I am deathly afraid of heights, and may or may not have had a major 5 min panic attack after taking this, complete with hyperventilating and full body shaking. 

Vicky just got one of the new Sony Cybershot cameras with the panoramic photo feature. I would buy the camera for that feature alone and spent half the trip snapping up photos with it. Also, because I forgot the battery for my Nikon D3000 and the battery ran out on my own Sony Cybershot 5 min into the trip. Clearly good planning on my part. I was most excited about visiting BP Bridge. Frank Gehry is one of my favorite architects, and after viewing it, BP Bridge quickly jumped to the top spot on my list of favorite works by him. 

As for shopping, It was a hit and a miss. Miss was when I tried to shop in the loop area. We went to Macy's, Nordstrom Rack, TJ Maxx, and H&M, and left all four places very disappointed. Our next trip shopping brought us back up to my favorite stomping grounds on Oak Street which have changed a lot recently. First was the new Barney's store, which was, in a word, heaven. Barney's will get its own post very soon, so I won't elaborate on the details. Then, right across the street... THE NEW HERMES STORE! I chatted it up with the sales associates about the new location which opened a few weeks ago. It is at least double the size of the old one that was about half a block away. The nice sales lady tried to butter me up by showing me the "Limited Edition, hand painted scarves, made especially for the store. There was 1,000 made, and now there is only 3 left". SOLD! Where do I sign? Ah, I kid, I kid. I wish I got one, but I know a few people who would be very unhappy with me If I did. Next I stopped by Prada, with their usual "ignore the customer" way of business, which I personally love. Ask me once if I need help, If I say no, please let me browse in peace and quite without shoving items down my throat; That is exactly what they do, I said no, and they promptly left me alone, helping me with things when I needed it. The last notable stop on Oak Street was the Jil Sander store, which I don't remember from years past. The sales associate here was super nice, answering all my questions about their custom shirting, and letting me try on a good half of the new Fall collection. 
Oh, and there was the Burberry store, which had all the jackets from the Fall Burberry Prorsum collection. After trying a few on, I have come to the conclusion that the above jacket is made for me. It was the most amazing thing to ever be on my body... better than the 3.1. Philip Lim sequin tuxedo blazer that I have been obsessing over for many seasons now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment