Friday, October 1, 2010

Best Day Ever...

Melissa Tammerijn, one of the top 10 new models, was running from Dior to Lanvin with me on the metro! We talked the whole way there.


I got to Lanvin really early so I went backstage to check on hair and makeup. Melissa thought it was funny that I got in with no ticket or credentials. How that was achieved is my little secret! Later it was time for dress rehearsal, so out came the girls. The heels were killing each one of them, some were yelling at the runway people, others just took them off while walking down the catwalk. When it came time for the actual show, half the models were wearing flats instead. 


They ran through the entire show three times before they started letting people in. By the time the show started I was already familiar with the entire thing. Each time I saw it though, I was in complete awe. It was the most inspiring show I have seen in a long time, and was really Alber at his best. I've been critical of Alber's more recent collections becoming repetitive with all the draping and heavy embellishment. It was as if he heard my wishes, and sent down a more minimalistic collection by Lanvin standards, without all the jewelry and swaths of organza. 

A little video I took of the opening rehearsal. It was funny to hear the runway coach screaming his advice over the speakers while the music was blaring and the models walking. "Come on Jac! Flirt with the garment!" 

The finale walkthrough was such an emotional moment. Done to Dionne Warwick's "Always Something There to Remind Me". During the actual show people were clapping to the music and swaying along. The joy of the collection was really summed up perfectly in that moment. 


After Lanvin, I made my way to Yohji Yamamoto. Even though I'm not the biggest fan, being there and seeing the show is so much different than seeing pictures on Style.com. You get the  excitement of the people around you, the mood from the music, and a full 360 of the clothes in motion. More cerebral collections like Yamamoto make a lot more sense when viewed in person as opposed to a computer screen or magazine. I can honestly say I enjoy his work a lot more after tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment