Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Paris Fashion Week Day 1...

My first show of the day wasn't very noteworthy; Anthony Vaccarello at the Palais Royal. I had to stand for it, but so did most of the other people so all I could see were the models heads. One head in particular in the crowd though, that of Diane Pernet from ASVOF, stood out from the rest. If one thing is nice about Fashion Week it is that I get to see all my personal celebrities like her up close.

Final walkthrough at Amaya Arzuaga.
The view from my seat. 
 I got a second row seat which I thought was pretty nifty. Also there was Jean-Paul Paula (of Mykromag), and Yohji Yamamoto (who needs no introduction). The show had some really amazing shapes which reminded me of the setting of the show, in the Mineralogy Museum. Sharp geometric volumes of silk played off the crystals all around very nicely. The heels were a bit of a distraction, and one model even fell at the end. I ended up meeting a model from the show outside and we walked to the metro station and rode to the next place together. She was really nice, 20 years old, from Ohio, and in her 8th season (4 years). She is thinking it will be her last season, and told me she was feeling a bit like stale bread and that the designers just don't want her any more. Its sad how quickly the industry goes through young girls, treating them like objects the entire time. She was on her way to a presentation where she had to stand for 2 hours. She mentioned that the presentations are the worse because then people scrutinize your body and really do just use you like an object. I asked her about the shoes at Amaya, to which she shot back before I could finish "Did all the girls look terrified, we were terrified the whole time backstage!". I could tell. 

Fatima Lopes Final Walkthrough.

The fancy setup. 
Model vs. Cameras. 
Tucked away in the not so nice part of Paris at night was the Fatima Lopes show. The set up, theater, and unusual runway presentation made it all worthwhile though. The models slowly came out to the sound of thunder and a heavy bass beat, walking diagonally throughout the space at different speeds. The clothes themselves had some really interesting constructions, and the shoes were made to look like stalactites (a geological theme running through Paris?). 

Everyone here made it seem like getting into the shows with no invitation would be hard, but I found it to be quite the opposite. I had different experiences at all three though; Begging the PR girls at Anthony, asking nicely at Amaya, and just walking through the doors with other people at Fatima. 3 for 3 is not a bad way to start, but I'm not expecting it to be as easy the rest of the week, especially with the big shows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment