Monday, September 20, 2010

Versailles...

I took a trip to Versailles this weekend to check out the new Murakami exhibition that just opened. We are using it as "inspiration" for a few of my classes, so I figured I had to go sooner rather than later to "get inspired". What I found out though was that I really dislike the actual Chateau de Versailles. It is overcrowded, touristy, and really not that spectacular. A short walk on the grounds brings you to the Grand and Petite Trianon, as well as Marie Antoinette's Hamlet. In the two times I have been to Versailles (both high and low season), these areas have been virtually absent of tourists; typically a few French families will be strolling around, but that is it. The buildings themselves are just as ornate as the main Chateau, but the lack of people makes them surprisingly welcoming, and allows you the time to enjoy yourself. The Hamlet, which was a ghost town the last time I was there, was transformed into a wonderland; an oasis from the overly stimulating details of the rest of Versailles. The gardens were in the height of their glory, the animals strolling peacefully around the place, and the weather only made things better. If I was feeling homesick of crisp fall days in Minnesota, I got the fix I needed in the Hamlet. 
The main gate.

The Chateau and Gardens, with the perfect natural lens flare (I am very anti-photoshop). 

Mushrooms on the floor.

Hall of Mirrors. I would say 1 in every 20 people stopped to look at the Murakami pieces, the rest just walked by and took pictures of other things. I don't think a lot of people realize the importance of this exhibition. 

Shrubs and shadows.

The lavender gardens of the Grand Trianon. 

This is my new favorite way to photograph furniture. Just the legs. I was the crazy person getting down on my hands and knees to photograph the furniture while everyone else just took the normal full room shot. I find this to be a much more interesting composition. 

There was a small stand selling baked potatoes in an old flame oven and they looked to good to pass up for lunch. They are very different from their American counterpart though. First, they don't use the typical Russet variety potato, and second, they sparingly put on the typical French toppings of jambon (ham) and fromage (they never specify what type of cheese, though I'm pretty convinced it is usually gruyere). There is not much flavor, but what was there was very good. I had some apple cider with it, and when paired with the brisk temps, felt like a wonderful autumn day. The changing chestnut trees helped too. All day long, I saw families digging through the piles of leaves looking for the large nuts. 

I just thought this was a beautiful moment that needed to be captured. It doesn't really say "Versailles" but maybe that is why I like it so much. 

The Temple of Love.

Maybe it was the lack of hey that I am so very allergic too, but for some reason I was uncharacteristically all over the animals that day. Every donkey needed to be petted, every chicken picked up, and the gigantic hog baby-talked too. The goats were really social and the cowbells around their necks just made them irresistible. 

The Hamlet really was just a quaint village...

With perfectly groomed gardens...

And the most tidy pumpkin patch ever.

The wildflowers all around Versailles provided such a bright burst of color. I think this image especially shows the side of Versailles so many of it's visitors never get to see. For them, the journey starts and ends at the Chateau. A stroll down to the fountains might be in order, but usually never much further than that. If you take the time to explore the area though, moments of serenity can be found off the tourist trail, and you can actually appreciate the magic the Monarchy created here so many years ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment