Thursday, June 10, 2010

More Resort/Cruise/Whatever-you-want-to-call-it...

I must say I really enjoy the new format that the Resort collections have taken. Thanks to the CFDA, the resort shows have turned into an extended fashion week of sorts. I get antsy really quickly so the old trickle format really bothered me a lot. I hated that down time between the Fall and Spring shows when nothing really happened except that ever week or so someone else would show their resort collection. It never really made sense to me. Why, when Resort and Pre-Fall sit in stores the longest, and make up a majority of a designers sales, would there be such a lack of focus on the presentations? I think Anna and others at the CFDA are finally trying to do something about that, and it is really paying off. Designers too seem to be noticing this change, and they are putting out what overall looks like better designed clothing. Before, I tended to like everything that came out of resort, because the designers played it safe and everything seemed to be made to be commercially viable. Now, there are some collections I like, some I love, and some I just downright dislike, all of which show that more risk is being taken on the designers part. 
Of course, no collection is complete without the accessories. I must admit, with the exception of sunglasses, accessories are not my forte; I am a blazer and t-shirt type of guy. I am slowly trying to change that with a few hats and bracelets at a time. This resort season might just be the season to change all of that. Everywhere I look I am finding inspiring ideas that make me want to pile on the accessories. 

Balenciaga 
The blue and white is right up my alley. I can't even begin to describe how much I want that bag the next time I go to the beach. My shoulder is longing for it to be casually draped across it. Like I said, sunglasses are a strong suit of mine when it comes to accessories, and these make me want to step up my game. I've dabbled in the whole chain thing before, but it was always the tacky children ones in neon colors. Playful, yes. Good on wayfarers, yes. Sophisticated, oh no they are not. I'm just crossing my fingers that the Balenciaga chain comes on different glasses (that shape is not good for my face), or that they release it on its own. 

Michael Kors
Those that go shopping with me know that I can't resist anything sequin or ombre. The scarf strap is unexpected and seems so perfect for that bag. The agate necklace seems casual and earthy. The rope chain helps acts in the same way the scarf strap does; it takes an object that could be too precious, and makes it more accessible. It is a good idea, and something that I will be incorporating more of into my wardrobe. 

Missoni
More beachwear. But, I guess this all hits stores mid winter, before I even can fathom laying on a boat, It will have to be a way to spice up that all black wardrobe that I pull out once September hits. Maybe it is because it is Missoni, but pattern is something I might try to work in more with my color blocking. 

Yves Saint Laurent
If this collection taught me anything, it is to look for unusual colors. On a bag, peaking out of cork, or even on your nails; the one way I will not be trying it. 
Although I will probably be trying to convince all my friends to run out and buy buy buy the new YSL nail colors. It's my way of living out nail fantasies vicariously through friends. Just like when Chanel put out that jade color with their Fall 2009 collection. 

All images from WWD, with the exception of the nails, which is from Vogue Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment