Thursday, March 4, 2010

Balenciaga F/W 2010...

I've come to the conclusion that Balenciaga will always get its own post. Seriously, there has never been a season (past or present) that I haven't loved. I'm like the unofficial president of the Balenciaga fan club, Minnesota branch. A Balenciaga show would only take up room on my Paris top 4 list and to group it with any other designers would just make them look bad in comparison. Like Prada, you must analyze Balenciaga. What sets Balenciaga apart though is that you must not only analyze the conceptual aspect, but also the construction and use of material. So here we go...
What amazes me about this look is not the fur, but the fact that the fabric floats around the body. It seems to just hang off the shoulders and just hover around everything else. The metallic fabric could easily come across as cold and futuristic, but instead feels inviting, rich, luxurious, and perfectly of its time. As for the fur, it is almost an anti-waist. What is normally the thinnest part of a woman's body, suddenly gets enveloped in volume, echoing classic Balenciaga shapes. 

This was the best of springs color pallet, tweaked just a little to keep it fresh. Normally something so close to a previous collection would leave me board, but here it almost brings more relevance to the spring show. Consumers are looking to get more longevity out of their clothing and by following so closely to spring with a select few looks, means you can transfer the looks between seasons. As for that pastel pink chain bracelet, my name has already been written all over it.
Ummmm.... yeah, that material, that shape, that pattern. It is just stunning how the fabric folds and waves underneath the belt. You just want to reach into the screen and feel the fabric to know what it is (Double faced silk? Thick lycra? Neoprene?) The tone on tone pattern adds enough dimensionality to keep the color blocking from becoming too mundane. Nicolas' trouser looks as good as ever in this wonderful shade of cranberry red. 
From a distance I thought that the sweater had been cut or knitted with holes in it to reveal a shirt underneath, but much to my surprise, it was actually sewn on. What an effective way to give shape and structure to a knit. 
Questions! Where do the pants end and the jacket begin? Can it be zipped up into a continuous jumpsuit? Perhaps it can be separated into jacket, trousers, and shirt? This is a feat of technical wonder. I look to Balenciaga and Nicolas Ghesquiere to push my thoughts and make me think what design is capable of. This was the thought provoker of the collection and why I enjoy Balenciaga shows so much. 
And because you can't talk about Balenciaga without talking about the shoes... I've said before that a pair of Balenciaga shoes are deserving of their hefty price tag because of the exceptional quality and design. Have you honestly seen such a shoe, let alone one that is constructed of crocodile, wood veneer, and precious stones? Counterfeiters beware, you cannot even attempt to copy these, everything will fall short.  These are literally works of art, I would want a pair just to display them in my house somehow. J'adore. 

For those of you who made it to the end of this, you get Erik brownie point. What these points get you, I don't know, but you have some.

No comments:

Post a Comment