Sunday, December 27, 2009

2000...

Well, a decade is at its end, and like so many others, I am making one of those list recapping the past 10 years of fashion with some of my favorite fashion moments.



S/S 2000 Hussein Chalayan


I've always been in love with Hussein's work and the way that he constantly mixes art and fashion, always with a hint of wit, and references to Middle Eastern and Western culture. I'm always amazed that in my sculpture classes, fashion is never mentioned, with the exception of Hussein Chalayan. His airplane dress is brought up most often because of its protective qualities and its moveable parts. While this design doesn't contribute much to the fashions of the 2000's, it is a much needed bridge between Art and Fashion, which is so often not connected.


S/S 2000 Alber Elbaz for Yves Saint Laurent


With Monsieur Saint Laurent and Pierre Berge's watchful eye over YSL, Alber Elbaz created a remarkable collection that brought leather back to spring in full force, something I don't recall being done again until the S/S 2010 Celine collection. This makes me think that leather is the perfect way to dust off an old decade (and winter) and start things anew. The leather shirt dress brings that hard edge that YSL can be known for, with that timeless chic that Alber is a master of. It is the timeless nature of this garment that I find so amazing. This dress could easily pass as modern, even though it is now a decade old. 


F/W 2000 Dries Van Noten


As much as I love Dries Van Noten for his amazing use of mixing patterns and colors, his bold and simple patterns really capture my heart. While velvet hovers along a fine line of fabrics that scream "dated", the unique green shade makes it feel fresh and new. The camel sweater really compliments the pencil skirt in color and shape. I love the play of proportions between the tightness of the skirt, the slouch to the sweater, and the hem lengths on the skirt and sleeves. 



F/W 2000 Julien MacDonald


Leave it to Julien MacDonald to be a great London showman. I don't know if it is his extensive use of Naomi, or the slinky dresses, that make me feel like the 90's are not done yet. His F/W 2000 show was one of those great productions that happen every so often in fashion; it took place at the Millennium Dome with a concert by No Doubt. The slew of short party dresses and somewhat campy model walks made me want to party like it is 1999. 

No comments:

Post a Comment