Friday, December 11, 2009

Pre-Fall thus far...

Versace

Wow, I was blown away by this collection. There was a recent article in Newsweek that basically said that Donatella ruined the house of Versace due to bad design, and an unsavory lifestyle. I really think Newsweek should stick to writing political articles, because this collection shows just how strong of a designer Donatella is. Donatella isn't Gianni, nor are we living in the 90's so of course the clothes are going to look different. As for why the house isn't making as much money as it did under Gianni, Newsweek must have forgot that two little things called 9/11 and a recession happened, and both have completely changed the way that we spend money. So back to the clothes. The leggings, AMAZING. The colors, PERFECT. The tailoring, (puts down food) is on another level.


Alexander Wang

Alexander Wang hit the ball out of the park with his Spring collection, and in a Lagerfeld-like manner, topped himself the next time around. If one collection pushed proportion, it was this one. I love the fitted pants layered with shorts. Every single piece was chic and seasonless, and dare I say... comfy looking?

Pringle of Scotland

Clare Waight Keller is always on the top of my favorite knitwear designers, and the work she does at Pringle is truly inspiring. I can only hope to be able to mix classic argyle and cabling in such a modern way like she does. I love the felted cage knit that she showed, probably because it reminded me of my favorite YSL collection (Fall 2008) with the amazing cage shoes. I'll have to dust off the ol' knitting needles and make a felted cage scarf over winter break now.
The high point in this collection though has to be the jackets. Each one was minimally cut, and had just enough decoration to keep the traditional feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment