Thursday, May 6, 2010

At The MET...

Of course fashions equivalent of the Oscars happens during finals week. Now everything is all good, so I can find the time to do more frequent posts... like this one that should have happened the day after...

From top left to bottom right: Zoe Saldana, Francisco Costa and Diane Kruger all in Calvin Klein Collection. Gisele Bundchen in custom Alexander Wang with Tom Brady. January Jones and Stefano Pilati in Yves Saint Laurent. Emma Watson and Christopher Bailey in Burberry Prorsum.
I am sure I am not the only person wishing that I was Francisco Costa in that Picture. As if Zoe and Diane are not dreamy enough, you go and stick them in those gowns and it is like a fashion fantasy. Now I don't think that Gisele can ever top that 2008 Atelier Versace gown, but this custom made Wang sure comes close. Next we have Stefano Pilati, looking dapper as ever and getting my best dressed male award, with the amazing January Jones. If I could have one complaint about fashion today it is that we have lost so much of our elegance. It is those little details like the watch chain on the vest and the long satin gloves that finish off a look perfectly. Finally in my top four we have the grungy punk brits; Emma and Christopher. I don't recall Christopher ever looking this skinny before, so props to him for that. I know I just said I love how chic the YSL clan was looking, but there is a place also for some casual glamour, and these two pull it off perfectly. 

Liu Wen in Naeem Khan, John Demsey, Constance Jablonski in Jason Wu. Charlotte Gainsbourg and Nicolas Ghesquiere in Balenciaga. Vera Wang and Mila Kunis in Vera Wang. Sasha Pivovarova, Sean Lennon, and Kemp Muhl all in Marni.  
Of course the Gala is never complete without a little model magic (sorry Gisele but I'm not counting you), cue the super stunning power duo of Liu and Constance! While a lot of dresses and gowns were heading south, theirs climbed to new heights, giving us legs for days. Thanks girls! Ah Nicolas and Charlotte, you cheeky little devils. I can't for the life of me figure out where her Balencaiga dress comes from, he hasn't shown anything remotely similar since F/W 2009, ages ago in fashion terms, and showing up in one of those dresses would be a fashion disaster. Her shoes are clearly F/W 2010, but the dress is nothing like that collection. This leaves two possibilities; Balenciaga Edition, or super secret special gift from one bff to another. I'm leaning to the latter since the great Cristobal never did anything like that. Vera gets my props for looking like she is 20, and having the best blow out ever. Her hair stylist must have worked hours teasing and blowing that hair into an amazing volumous mass of hair. My last pick for best dressed goes to the coolest kids in town. Sasha, Sean and Kemp are the best people to rep the brand and make me want to run to the store and join the Marni Tribe. 

Tina Fey in Yves Saint Laurent. Laura and Kate Mulleavy with Kirsten Dunst in Rodarte. Keren Craig, Georgina Chapman, and Eva Longoria Parker all in Marchesa. Doutzen Kroes and Zac Posen in Zac Posen. 
Now the worst... Tina Fey I'm talking to you. Seriously though, if you have a stylist or not, you can't possibly leave the house so many times looking like a hot mess, or in this case, a hot mess in a jump suit. Stefano is probably hiding a 10 ft pole in this tuxedo to keep her YSL disaster from rubbing off on him and January. As for the ladies behind Rodarte and their famous friends, I'm starting to loose hope in the brand. Maybe it was the New York equivalent of Balmain, too pricy and too recognizable. This past collection didn't show very well either, and like Balmain, each collection looks like the last one. I know you girls don't like to go to parties, but please, try to at least look like you are having fun. And now for Eva Longoria Parker and her dress that is a) not long enough, or short enough and b) has too long of a train. Also when standing next to Georgina Chapman, I suggest wearing 8 inch platforms. Finally we cap off the worst dressed with curvy girl darling, who surprisingly did not go with something Vuitton or Prada, which she rocks, but instead goes with an enormous blue mass. Zac, Joann's called, they want their tulle back. 

Andre Leon Talley and Whoppi Goldberg in custom Chado Ralph Rucci.
My honorable mention in the best dressed category goes to Mr. Talley and Whoppi Goldberg. No one wears a cape like ALT. 

No comments:

Post a Comment