Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Memories and Stuff Part 2...

Hehe, I'm surprised I didn't mention this earlier, like the moment when I got back from my quick trip to Paris but...
In between trying on the runways glasses (add the neon green pair to that need list [I was going to buy them there but all those art museums sucked up my money, I'm talking to you Lucien Freud exhibit at the Pompidou Center, and murder/torture in art exhibit at the Musee d'Orsay]), I managed to get my hands on the S/S 2010 lookbook! It seems to be somewhat of a collectors item seeing as they only had the one copy, and it is causing a huge buzz on the internet. Let me just get it out there... it is as good as everyone says it is.
Every page pushes the photography and clothing to a new level. Clothing patterns are distorted into new patterns, blending the line between the clothes and the background. What was once the print to the shirts is now used as a backdrop to show off the chandelier shoes (above). The styling was absolutely perfect, from the hair and lipstick right down to those supper amazing and anti-practical plastic toe nails (also above). 
The mens side of things didn't disappoint either. Muccia's vision was flawlessly transferred from runway to lookbook to art movie. Perhaps that is why I love Prada so much, because Muccia does such a great job of merging fashion and art. You see it everywhere in the brand; Fondazione Prada giving grants and exposure to emerging artists, all star architects designing the stores, and artist collaborations with the clothing, films, and lookbooks. While it is nothing new for designers to branch out into other forms of art (Helmut Lang does sculpture, Hedi Slimane and photography, Rich Owens creates furniture, and Italian mega personas Donatella Versace and Giorgio Armani dabble in hotels) none do it on such a grand and influential scale as Muccia. 

The lookbook sat on my bed stand for the past few months, but now it will reside in my box of memories. It gives me something new to look forward too when the times comes every now and then to pull out the box and rummage through its contents. So, question time! What types of things do you collect on your travels and how do you draw upon those travel memories?

... and What, is your favorite color? *spoken like the bridge keeper in Monty Python and the Holy Grail* For some reason question time made me think of that, and as a result, gave me a hearty laugh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment