Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Musical Chairs...

Fashion is notorious for playing this game with creative directors. The fact that so many brands are now owned by large luxury conglomerates doesn't help much either in the department of job stability for head designers. Today, the music played (It seemed like every hour I got a update on my phone about some new job appointment), then stopped... The next two seasons of shows certainly will be more interesting. 

Olivier Theyskens at Theory
It is about time somebody got this boy on board. I've been having major Olivier withdrawals since he left Nina Ricci. Although, I'm wondering how someone with such a dark and victorian vision and a love for ruffles and feathers will take on a brand that does simple clothing. 
Nina Ricci F/W 2007, Nina Ricci F/W 2009

Giles Deacon at Ungaro
Can we please forget the sequin heart shaped nipple pasties collection by everyones favorite hot mess Lindsey Lohan, and move to a more appropriate partnership with Giles Deacon. I'm crossing my fingers that his flair and wit will be a perfect fit for Ungaro so the house can get out of design limbo. 6 designers in 10 seasons is not a good thing. 
Giles S/S 2009, LiLo for Ungaro S/S 2010

Sarah Burton at Alexander McQueen
I was hopping this spot would go to Olivier Theyskens, he has the romance and theatricality that was so fundamental to the McQueen brand, but Sarah Burton makes a good choice too. One of his closest friends and design assistant for 14 years, she has the experience and knowledge to maintain Lee's vision. I'm have the feeling though that PPR wants the brand to move in a more commercial direction. 

Alessandro Dell'Acqua at Brioni
My mom wanted me to get a cashmere Brioni sweater a few weeks ago. It was an XL... I am not. Other than that I don't have too much to say about this since Brioni was never really on my fashion week radar, although I guess I will have to make room for it now. 

Christophe Lemaire at Hermes
There have been two swirling rumors in fashion for a while now. Jean-Paul Gaultier leaving Hermes, and Karl Lagerfeld leaving Chanel to be replaced by Alber Elbaz who would then leave Lanvin. Thankfully this one happened over the other one. I like Karl and Alber right where they are thank you very much. I like to think of this partnership as the anti-Olivier/Theory. Olivier went from the luxury brands Rochas and Nina Ricci to the contemporary Theory brand. Christophe on the other hand is going from High-end brand Lacoste to super luxury brand Hermes. Christophe, in case you didn't know, is the reason Lacoste has made its huge comeback in the past few years (it was in a rut since its 80's heydays). I'll be excited to see him continue with his sportswear just sub the Lacoste cotton pique and linen for the Hermes alligator and calf skin. 
JPG for Hermes S/S 2008, Lemaire for Lacoste F/W 2010

Images from Style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment