Sunday, May 9, 2010

Yarn Art...

Remind me never to get into PR and do event promotions. Even when it comes to my own work being shown, I tell no one until it is too late, like this...
My fancy yarn graffiti show which has been on display for the past few weeks and wraps up today. I have this weird fascination with knitting and crocheting doilies, which is where I got my inspiration for this piece. Something about them is so frivolous and ornate that I just love them to death. Doilies were originally created to protect fine wood from scratches, but if you ask me, a lacy, hole ridden piece of cotton is not the most effective means of doing so. 
Something about spring time, my love of all things lacy and round, the color green, and a pressing deadline to get something knitted while dealing with school work, lead to me randomly knitting in a circle and hope for the best. I didn't even do any measuring for the building it was being installed on! Call it luck, but it found a perfect home right next to some greenery, transforming my humble doily into some extravagant neon spider web. 
I think it is quite handsome no?

No comments:

Post a Comment