Friday, February 12, 2010

Grieving Part 2...

Scott Schuman managed to say the words that I could not;
I'm rereading what I wrote and what has been written on other sites and blogs. All very nice but I still feel so unsatisfied, so empty, even a little mad. When a bigtime movie star or politician dies someone like Tom Brokaw has always been there to help put it into perspective. If it was a sports star, fans would talk about it for days on talk radio. However, for someone that loves fashion Alexander McQueen is just gone and no one seems to be able to make sense of it. There doesn't seem to be anywhere to turn to make it feel right or understandable. I don't have any answers for you either. All I know is this sucks. 
And Garance Dore took an image that says so much with so little;
While looking through the archives of McQueens work at his namesake and Givenchy, one image really hit hard. Alexander McQueens S/S 2008 collection, inspired by Isabella Blow and modeled by Daul Kim. Isabella killed herself in May 2007, Daul in November 2009, and Lee in February 2010. It is incredibly sad that so many people in the industry feel the need to end their own life. 

I still feel like I am in some weird trance like state. New York fashion week just is not the same. While I would normally be so excited about the new season, I'm left with a feeling of emptiness. A void that cannot be filled. Tim Blanks words seemed to be in disbelief, Cathy Horyn's The Loss , NY Fashion Week, and A Visit To London tried to comprehend what happened, and WWD, the fashion Bible, wrote numerous stories; A Fashion Remembrance , A True Master, and A London Man came close to being the Tom Brokaw of fashion (A True Master the closest), but still we are left without a guiding light. People in the industry have compared this to the death of Princess Diana, but unlike her, so much of the world seems to not care. Here in Minnesota, I only saw one news story on Lee's death; a 10 second clip on Access Hollywood in between talk of Gwen Stefani's label L.A.M.B.. A dozen or so people have said they are sorry for my loss, but their words seem to lack sincerity, or in the case for one person who insists upon calling him Steven, blatantly disrespectful. I along with so many others, have lost a hero, a fashion superman, a person you look up to for so much of what you do. And like Scott says, there is no one to make sense of it. Tonight had the most sincere tribute to McQueen I could imagine at Naomi Campbell's Fashion For Relief styled by Rachel Zoe; Naomi, Natasha, Daphne, Heidi, Sasha, Angela and Karen all walked in the finale... all in McQueen... all crying... 

No comments:

Post a Comment