Friday, February 19, 2010

New York Recap...

So, I realized that it is a lot of work to go in each day, pick out my favorite collections, gather the images and stick them through the Photoshop machine, and do a little write up all while trying to juggle school and homework. Therefore I have decided just to do a big week end post of my favorite collections, it gives me time to re-watch some shows and figure out which ones are really noteworthy.  

3.1 Philip Lim
Perhaps the most european of the collections, and really hitting hard on the futuristic military trend, Philip Lim produced a very well thought out show. Like in Milan there were strapped up boots, knee length fur vests, and leather, leather, and more leather. There was a real industrial working feel to the leather jumpsuits and utility belts, and heavy straps gave off a Matrix vibe. 


Alexander Wang
Three words; velvet knee-high socks. I'm sold. I'm still curious as to how in fashion we went from hardcore 80's rocker last season to Medieval Gothic Victorian this season. Of all the NYC designers embracing jewel tone velvet, I think Alexander Wang did it the best. Some, like Altuzarra, felt more at home in a Ren. Fest. setting, were as Wang was the perfect look for those young urban party kids. Underwear as outerwear seems to be staying put, and thanks to the velvet the trend still felt fresh and new. Another highpoint to this collection seemed to be the slouchy knits, which really helped to set the dark mood of the show.


Michael Kors
Michael did what he does best, and did not disappoint. His classic American sportswear for the jet set get a heavy dose of fur this fall, which was seen everywhere from small mufflers to one fierce skirt. The beige color pallet was the perfect base for touches of rusty reds and earthy greens. While Kors shined with his day wear, I think he really excelled for evening, providing a plethora of slinky sequin and knit dresses that will be perfect on the red carpet. *winking*at*Diane*Kruger*


Patrik Ervell
Please let my hair grow fast so I can start swirling it in every direction possible like these boys. If I were made of money I would highly consider getting a weave to satisfy my wind swept hair appetite right now. Oh well, I only have an inch to go before this dream will become reality. Hair aside, I loved this collection from start to finish. It was simple, clean, youthful, and modern all rolled into one which is not an easy task. The trousers were not to tight, and not to loose, jackets were perfectly tailored, and the latex coats were quirky, but not over the top. 


Preen
Normally I have an easy time picking out my favorite looks, but with this show I had a hard time; every look was phenomenal. This was one of the few shows that I think hit the nail on the head when it came to model casting. Once more we saw the underwear as outerwear, revealing just enough skin to keep the look classy and chic. The cuts of the jackets were modern without trying to hard, just check out that curved hem in the upper right. 


Richard Chai
This was the show that provided the cool, young, American vibe that I look for out of NY Fashion Week. Perhaps the best interpretation of this was the color blocked shirts in various plaid patterns. The easy layering of the pieces will transfer well off the runway. 


The Row
If Phoebe Philo (Celine) and Thomas Maier (Bottega Veneta) had a baby, I'm most certain that Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen would come out. Their first runway presentation of The Row was certainly a high point of the week for me. Every look was understated and luxurious, and the beautiful blue python used without restraint was sublime. The minimal styling and color pallet mixed with the relaxed tailoring had a distinctly chic European feel while maintaining the Olsen's unique style. The python dress in the bottom left gets my vote as the best look of the week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment