Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Good and The Ba(lenciaga)d...

Well, the spring ads are coming in each day, and today brought some interesting ones... good and bad...



Balenciaga


I can't even verbalize my disappointment with this ad, but I will try. With Nicolas's stellar S/S 2010 collection and Steven Meisel behind the camera I really expected a knockout ad campaign, but boy was I wrong. While I enjoyed every look that went down the runway, there were many more that I preferred over these ones (hooded leather vests maybe?). I also understand that the inspiration was the Japanese horror movie The Grudge, which should have transferred great to the advertising, but it obviously didn't considering the bare minimal background. I'm the last person to bash on minimalism, I love it to death, but there are times when it is not appropriate, and this collection was one of those times. But enough about Nicolas, I think the biggest problem is what the amazing Steven Meisel did to this poor excuse for an ad. If you viewed the picture, I would hope you can see what my problem is. WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THIS ARRANGEMENT!? Yes, the caps are necessary. I would love to know what the thinking and meaning behind this is, but right now I just don't get it!  Did Steven finally discover magic lasso and layers on Photoshop? Even me, the most Adobe software challenged person on the planet, can make that, with better results. Can we just get rid of the model in the green? I would be happy with just the two models standing alone with a grey background. Like I said, I'm all for minimal, but this overlapping of figures is just nonsensical. Then there is the problem with how the logo was inserted into the ad. Maybe they could loose the white background and stick it in some corner grey space? Or just for kicks make it really large and weave it in between the models legs? I mean, if your going to start playing with layers, you minus well take it to that next step. Its better to push an idea to the point of overdevelopment, than to not push it far enough. And can we just briefly mention the models? Seriously girls? You're doing a Balenciaga campaign, and the best you can give is deer in the headlights? I'm talking to you Patricia van der Vilet. *Ok, breathe Erik* I guess I can let this horrible ad go, we all stumble at some point, but I can't be sure I wont have nightmares about this ad for the next couple weeks. I'll probably wake up with cold sweats dreaming about getting lost between photoshop layers of models. Think Magic School Bus meets the Matrix, meets Alice in Wonderland. 


And to leave this post on an positive note, I brought my favorite ads from today. 



Dior


Karlie Kloss, and a redeemed Steven Meisel, need I say more? I really like the lights through the shutters. It reminds me of the runway show with the obstructed light source from inside a building. 




Dolce & Gabbana


I love the whole mood of this ad... And it reminds me of Jersey Shore... The only situation around here is that it is impolite to wear ones undergarments to the dinner table, but I can let that slide, just like that Balenciaga ad. 


No comments:

Post a Comment