Sunday, January 17, 2010

Milan Fashion Week: Day 2...


Gianfranco Ferre


For me, this collection was all about playing with extreme proportions and pony hair. I'm also noticing two strong hair trends that are emerging; side swept bangs, and the pompadour. Thankfully there wasn't a single bumped up hair style in sight for this show. I don't think that any of these looks would transfer well off the runway, I do think they offer some amazing layering choices to add some edge to your wardrobe. I'm especially fond of the upper right look. I would love to rock that look, just substitute the leather pants for dark wash denim or a grey flannel trouser. The sweater looks so warm I would just want to snuggle up in it at night. 



John Varvatos


If I was made of money I would want to wear every outfit from this collection every day next fall. Everything about it screamed cool London rocker right down to the set design with the wall of melting candles. the suits were especially well cut, and the trousers seemed to fit like a glove. Hopefully this will start to trickle down to more affordable fashion because I am currently unable to find trousers that are slim enough for my liking. The wide assortment of bags in this show also caught my eye. There seemed to be one for every purpose, and I will probably dream about that chocolate brown tote in the bottom left image tonight. 



Neil Barrett


Another collection that I wouldn't mind wearing for an entire season. I was actually impressed by the leather pants this time. Usually leather is not a good choice for pants, but these had a nice matte look to them and when paired with a tuxedo jacket, looked like a great outfit for a night on the town. My only problem was the sporadic placement of little round forms. It reminded me a lot of Jil Sander (and the Flinstones) that we saw yesterday, just not executed as well, but I guess that is why Raf Simons is the reining king of menswear. 



Prada


Every season, Muccia Prada keeps me on my toes wondering what she will do next. She is one of those great designers that doesn't follow trends, she creates them. You can also count on her to never do the same thing twice, what she does one season is never like what she will do the next. This all left me to wonder though, because at the end of the show, on a wall size projection, were the words "To be continued...". there were an awful lot of women on the mens runway, so I'm thinking that come Milan's Women RTW show, we will see further development of this collection along with some men thrown in the mix. and before we move on to the clothes, I just want to get it out there that this was one of my favorite runway sets i've seen. I'll probably do a post on that later when I can gather some good images of all the different things going on. As for the clothes, everything seemed really wearable and like typically Prada had some witty twist thrown in. Take the typical camel topcoat, only this time with two collars. Or a nice cable knit sweater, just shrunken down like it went through the wash. Over all there was a major 60's vibe going on, especially with the women's clothing, so it looks like it is time for us to move on from this 80's moment fashion has been having lately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment