Saturday, January 16, 2010

Milan Fashion Week: Day 1...

Well today was the start of Milan Fashion week, and I think it got off to a really good start. Just when I'm starting to crave dressing for spring again, the F/W collections come out and I don't want the cold to leave. If I was going to start predicting trends for fall I would have to say it is about the winter whites and warm grey tones. As for key items, it is definably the statement jacket.



Burberry F/W 2010


I know why fashion people always complain about shows not being on time. I had a few things to do today and I took some time to catch the live stream of this show, but it was 30 min late, and unlike Dolce & Gabbana, which showed all the backstage stuff before the show (20 min late) I had to stare at the Burberry logo until things started going. I think the wait was well worth it though. This collection was spectacular to say the least, and one of my favorite Burberry collections to date. I loved all the different military references like the aviator jackets and Khaki jackets with epaulettes. The latter felt like good ol' Balmain if Christophe Decarnin didn't roll the clothes through dirt and a blender. I really like the yellow leather trench coat, it is a great way to add that bold color to an all black ensemble.



Costume National F/W 2010


I really liked this collection. Milan tends to not be edgy enough for my taste but this collection felt so cool. Again we saw big jackets and the typical suit (cut in a very Slimane era Dior Homme way if you ask me) but my favorite addition was the saddle leather shirts. Ever since Pheobe Philo's knockout Celine S/S 2010 collection with saddle leather shirts I have been waiting for someone to make a mens version. My wait is over. I also love the double breasted suit sans shirt. It takes a suit which would normally feel "old, rich, and European" as I like to say, and makes it feel so youthful. Don't yell at me if I try something like that at a future art party or something, the lord knows I love a deep neckline. Finally this collection also had a trend that I'm particularly excited about if it continues past day 1... SWEAT PANTS! of course these ain't yo' typical oversized high school student sweat pants, these are detailed like dress pants, great for a modern, young take on the conservative suit.





Dolce & Gabbana F/W 2010


Talk about a collection revolving around the sweat suit. I also love the whole underwear-as-outerwear trend that has been sweeping through the women's collections, but with that masculine twist, in this case, thermal underwear. I guess that means I can't leave the house this winter in only my briefs. dang. I was so looking forward to that. Other things I like about this collection was the layering of tank tops and the denim on denim (my current obsession). I really love the rusty grey tones that were used throughout.





Jil Sander F/W 2010


If Fred Flinstone was to do 90's minimalism a la Jil Sander, this collection would be the result. The organic cutout shapes remind me so much of river stones that I can't help but think of Bedrock in the old cartoons. I love the statement wool jackets held together by these rounded forms, they perfectly blend conservative and edgy.

No comments:

Post a Comment