Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Size Issue...



I was wondering what Karl Lagerfeld was going to do to contribute to V63, and today via models.com I found out.  Maybe it is just me, but 2010 is turning out to be a horrible year for fashion. First, the new Balenciaga ads are horrific to say the least, and I haven't seen an ad that has blown me away yet. And now this. Really Karl? Really? Much like Balenciaga, I love you to death and are one of the biggest inspirations for everything I do. But this editorial... I just don't approve. If you get me on the topic of models, you will find that I am a strong supporter of the miniscule model. Not eating disorders mind you, but a healthy skinny. With that said though, I am a huge fan of what V is doing, It is great to see how influential fashion people think that high fashion translates to a larger American audience. 

So, here is my theory, and thanks for bearing with me as I go on this little rant, but I think Karl's dislike for overweight people is showing in this editorial. I mean, Karl is notoriously outspoken on the topic weight, he himself used to be obese. Then last year he started using Beth Ditto on everything. She was large. She was loud. She was not my cup of tea. I'm fine with the use of plus size models, but I think you have to draw the line somewhere with how large these models can be. A unhealthy model is no model in my eyes, no matter how skinny they are, and in this case, how large they might be. A model is used as a means of promotion, and it is just not right to be promoting unhealthy habits. Now, I know i don't know the health history of Beth Ditto, but I'm sure her weight cannot be beneficial to her overall well-being. I think the same can be said with this model. Much like Beth Ditto, this model exudes confidence, but it comes across very vulgar. There is a fine line between sexy and vulgar, and this clearly crosses it. With the issue of the model and her posing aside, I think other factors are contributing to the vulgarness. First there is the styling. No matter how skinny or fat you are. Chanel broach pasties are NOT OK! Unless you are Dita Von Teese, you will not be able to pull off Chanel pasties in a way that is tasteful. I realize that the underwear as outerwear is become quite the trend (thank you Lady Gaga for that one) but a fringe bra and garters start to read as burlesque, again, hard to do tastefully unless you're name is Dita Von Teese. Of couse, the impeccable Dita would never leave her mouth open in such a way. Then we have the issue of set. Sure, we got Karl Lagerfeld and Chanel accessories, but the juxtaposition between 31 Rue Cambon and burlesque is just jarring. Too many Chanel references CAN be a bad thing. 


I was so looking forward to this issue of V, and all the editorials were looking flawless. Then I heard Karl Lagerfeld was contributing and of course I was anticipating something great. I'm really feeling let down by fashion right now for being a) underwhelming and b) making poor decisions. I'm like the High School teacher telling Balenciaga and Chanel, the students, that they have the potential, but they are just not applying themselves. Lets try to get 2010 going in a positive way. Hopefully with Milan Menswear Week starting on the 16th I will have something to be excited about. I might be taking a break from blogging, as much as I love it, to focus on some personal issues and work that I need to get done, so I might not be posting as much between now and Milan. 


But PLEASE (!) let me know what you think about all this V Magazine and new ad campaign nonsense! 

No comments:

Post a Comment