Thursday, March 24, 2011

Day 26...

A picture of someone I admire and a song I can play on an instrument. 

I think I have said it before on here, but I really admire Andre Leon Talley. I read his memoir a while back and was very much moved by it. He has such a interesting story, growing up in the south, in a humble financial situation with his grandmother. He moved out on his own to New York and worked extremely hard for everything that he has every accomplished. He may now seem like a larger than life character, but it is his working class savoir faire that makes him someone that I admire. I could have learned a lot from him growing up, that it's not about the fashionable things you don't own, but making the most from what you have. The way he re-tells stories about how his grandma took care of her church gloves, or the Christian Dior pajamas that she worked overtime to get him, is very moving. It's good to hear from someone how they have always followed their passion in life, and that with a lot of hard work you can really make something out of it. 

Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata 1st Movement. 

Although I have played every classical song that I have posted here so far, this is one that I especially enjoy. While so many songs can be filled with emotion when you play them - especially Chopin - Moonlight Sonata can really take all that you have. Even listening to it, you can hear the fingers struggling to hit each key as all of the performers sorrow flows into the piano. It's not the most technically challenging of songs, but the act of preforming it is what makes this song really special. 

Chopin - Nocturne in C Sharp Minor - My favorite Chopin piece to pour my heart into. 

No comments:

Post a Comment